Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Getting better

May 5 (happy birthday Mom!),

I did slightly better at predicting the Beard Award winners this year than I have in previous years. I guessed eight out of 19 correctly. For the previous two years I’d gotten seven right each year. So my batting average has gone from .368 to .421.
I guessed correctly that Jean Georges would be named outstanding restaurant, that Drew Nieporent would be named restaurateur of the year, that Momofuku Ko would win the best new restaurant award and that Le Bernardin would win for wine service. I correctly guessed that Tim McKee would win in the Midwest, Jose Garces in the Mid-Atlantic and Paul Bartolotta in the Southwest.
I hope to give you more observations once I finish my regular work. in the meantime, the full results for the restaurant awards can be found here, and the results for all of the awards (cookbooks, journalism etc.) are here.

No comments: