Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Stay tuned...

I hope you haven’t missed me too much. I’m in New Zealand learning many fascinating things that I was hoping to have shared with you already, but they’re keeping me pretty busy here, and the blogging muse is lying low. So I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a bit to learn why the warehou might be the next big fish, or why you might want to consider eating the meat of wool sheep rather than meat sheep, especially if they're hoggets, or what region some of the biggest wine makers here are looking to next.
There has been sun and fog, happy reunions and slightly angry ones. Oh, and for New Yorkers who want to know where their chefs are, Brad Farmerie is here in the Land of the Long White Cloud, too. I hadn’t seen him in a short-sleeved shirt before, and so I didn’t know he had tattoos.
For readers who enjoy chain restaurant trivia, can you tell me what former chain restaurant executive is now the United States’ ambassador to New Zealand?
That and so much more lies ahead.

3 comments:

MJ said...

It was great to see you in Blenheim Bret, if only briefly. Let me know if you want details of Brad's menu at the Waterfall Bay dinners. It was lovely to have a piece of the Big Apple in Marlborough.
MJ (Slightly disappointed, not slightly angry)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a dork who's obsessed with chain restaurants and is originally from Portland. I'm pretty sure the ambassador is William McCormick, the McCormick & Schmick guy, though somehow it would be funnier if he was affiliated with Outback Steakhouse.

Bret Thorn said...

Krista, you might be a dork, but you are a correct one. William McCormick is, indeed, the United States' ambassador to New Zealand. See that guy on the left in the last picture of this blog entry? That's McCormick & Schmick's executive chef, Bill King.
Oh, there is much, much more ahead.
MJ, you were kind of angry, perhaps more disappointed, and rightly so.