Monday, May 14, 2007

A Voce

May 11

“This is off the record!” Jennifer Leuzzi said, pointing an angry finger at me (or rather, an insistent one, see comment #4 below) as I ate lunch with her, Mitchell Davis and MJ Loza at A Voce. We were having a little reunion of our 2001 trip to New Zealand. Back then Jennifer was a publicist for Cervena venison and MJ worked for them in New Zealand (now he works for a winery in Marlborough).
I mean, am I that scary?
Chef Andrew Carmellini sent out bread and Sardinian sheep's milk ricotta. I had the vegetable antipasti (buffalo mozzarella, eggplant agrodolce and sweet peppers with capers), and then grilled tonno bianco with rapini pesto, roasted pepper and blood orange.
Then Andrew sent out a bunch of dessert, including his bomboloni and citrus tiramisu.
And that’s all I have to say about that, because no one wants an angry Jennifer Leuzzi.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone whose offhand gossip has made its way into your blog, I can say that I agree with Jennifer -- if we don't explicitly tell you that it's off the record, you've been known to use the info, and credit the source, first and last name.

Just sayin'.

Bret Thorn said...

Yeah, you have a point. It’s the journalist and Jew in me (the Talmud, in Pirke Avot, says you have to quote your sources).
I’ll try to keep you out of headlines (or bloglines) in the future.

Anonymous said...

I know your heart's in the right place...

Anonymous said...

Did I miss anything? Was at my anger management meeting.

No. Really was not angry - but insistent. I like to be in the cone of silence when I'm on my lunch break.

Bret Thorn said...

Gotta respect the cone of silence. You should see some of the beans I’ve spilled at lunch. Oh wait, you have.