Monday, December 08, 2008

Sampling the local spirits

December 8

Whiskey is now being made in Colorado — for the first time since Prohibition according to a bartender at Elway’s in Cherry Creek. It's called Stranahan’s, it’s based in Denver and I had it in the Denver Club Cocktail.
I won over a couple of the servers when the bartender asked me how I liked it and I said it tasted like the Western Slope in autumn.
That would be the western slope of the Rocky Mountains.
I wanted to write down the ingredients, but instead the bartender actually printed out the recipe, to wit:

In a shaker glass filled with ice, add two ounces Stranahan’s, one ounce sage syrup [I assume that’s made by steeping sage in sugar water], half an ounce of lemon juice and a dash of Angostura orange bitters.
Shake and strain into a highball over fresh ice.
Garnish with a lemon twist.
Historical note (this was printed out with the recipe, too; I have edited it a bit because I can’t help myself): The Denver Club was Denver and the mountain west's premier private club, established in 1880 in a mansion that was located on Glenarm Pl. and 17th St. in Downtown Denver. The mansion was demolished in 1953 and replaced by a high-rise office building, with the club located on the top three floors. The club’s popularity and prestige dwindled soon thereafter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a bottle of Stranahans in my liquor cabinet (which took a bit of effort to get "exported" to Arizona climes). Also got married in the Downtown Club, so this post was right on point for my interests.

I like the Stranahans. It isn't as sweet as I some other bourbons (like my personal standby, Makers Mark), but I like that it is small batch, and it has other taste characteristics that interest me (a little smokiness, and a little spice maybe).

Love the other recent post about Jewish History in Denver as well. My family has pretty deep roots in town as well. (BTW, Say hi to Todd for me next time you speak with him).

God I miss Denver sometimes!

- M Wolfson

Bret Thorn said...

Yes, if I remember correctly your clan is far more entrenched in Denver, and better connected, than my little family, with a glorious history that includes inventing the Denver boot.
You're also related to the Hayutins, right?